Unorthodox

Unorthodox

Monday 20 October 2014

Nutrition Plan for Roll Supreme

Hey Guys,

In case you missed it last week, I am now doing an article series with Roll Supreme on setting up and adjusting a Nutrition Plan for fat loss, health and BJJ.





Here is the article incase you missed it!

I was hanging out with Mike from Unorthodox Nutrition a few weeks ago. I ended up picking his brain about different strategies plans for the average person who trains jiu jitsu. I wanted to know what the average guy who trains could be doing to improve their nutrition. Any overall their “jiu jitsu diet”
Just as a jumping off point I was particularly curious about finding that idea weight to walk around at.
I’m around the 74kg mark with my weight going up or down 2kg depending mostly on how much I’m training. My diet isn’t terrible. It goes through stages of either being somewhat ‘clean’ and probably not taking enough calories. Or the other side of the coin is burgers milkshakes and far too much sugar. Currently I’m out of shape and at the bottom of the weight bracket. 
jiu jitsu weight devisions kg
Sustaining an ideal weight or even a diet is something I’ve never managed to stick to. So, Mike and me decided for the next couple of blog posts to track my diet, adjust it, and then see if I can sustain that 70kg weight. 
We’re also going to be looking at things like food prep, recovery, performance, and sleep. As well as things tied in more to BJJ like joint health and supplementation.
bjj food prep
We sat down and went over my diet for the last few days. I’d documented everything… including the packet of Haribo I’d eaten while waiting in the post office… 
20141014_100641
“When I sat down with Jack to talk about his diet it became apparent that he (like most BJJ athletes) wanted to be in a bit better shape with a focus on performance and recovery.
Jacks eating habits are very similar too most people who are self employed. They eat only when they are very hungry, often have a mid afternoon crash and snack on sweet things as their body is desperate for the energy. Jack is also under eating by a LARGE amount considering all the training and rushing around he does (have you ever tried to carry 20 Gi’s and 30 hoodies to the post office…).”
That was followed up by going over our goals for the next few weeks. I decided to break them down into primary and secondary goals.
My Goals:
Primary:
Sustain weight at 70kg
Stick to a sustainable diet plan
Secondary:
Increased Energy Levels
Improved focus
Better rolling performance
Deeper Sleep 
Mikes Goals:
The main goals that we are going to set out to achieve are the following,
• Improve performance and metabolism.
• Improve recovery with a focus on joints and reducing inflammation.
• Fat loss and muscle gain.
• Implementing a plan that is flexible and that Jack can follow.
• Educate Jack (and you reading) on certain aspects of nutrition with hints and tips to make things work in the real world
We will follow on in the next post about the specific diet and the changes we have made (most importantly WHY we have made them).
This diet plan is obviously tailored to my specific goals laid but we’re hoping it’ll provide you with a basic guide on how to tailor your diet to help improve your performance and overall health. 
I’m going to be bringing out some videos with Mike to coincide with the weekly blog posts were we break everything down from both of our points of view. 

If you want more info about diet plans or some nutritional advice head over to www.unorthodox-nutrition.com
More to come soon!
Stay Healthy,
Mike


No comments:

Post a Comment