Unorthodox

Unorthodox

Sunday 9 February 2014

Product Review - Myprotein Pancakes

Hey Guys,

Today I will be reviewing Myproteinsnew Protein Pancakes.




I saw this a while ago on Myprotein's site and really thought it was a good idea, mainly because I love pancakes and secondly its always nice to have an alternative for breakfast.

Now my thoughts on having 'healthy treats' are often quite mixed. I won't explain them all again here as regular readers will know my stance on them (if you don't please check out my previous review on USNs Protein Dessert). All that being said, I know that my protein put out some good stuff so I was keen to give them a try.

The protein pancakes are part of a new range from Myprotein that also includes Protein Crispies (a cereal basically) and protein muffins. As always, I start out with the nutritional label which at first glance doesn't seem to bad,

Per 50g serving: 
Energy: 191kcal
Energy: 806KJ
Protein: 34.3g 
Carbohydrates: 5.9g
Sugars: 2.1g
Fats: 3.2g
Saturates: 1.1g
Fibre: 0.7g
Sodium: 0.3g

The product is high in protein, low in carbs and sugar. However what I will point out is that the above values are given with using water to make the pancakes and not milk. If you were to use 1% milk you would be adding an extra 50-150 calories and a few more grams of carbs depending on how thick you like the pancakes.

Here in, lies the problem. When made with milk the pancakes are fine. Not stellar by any meals but are palatable and high in protein. However when they are made with just water they lack any form of taste and become very thin. I found myself adding other things to the pancakes to make them taste better. All of which added extra calories etc.

Are they better than other store bought pre made pancake mixes? Absolutely. They are a much better alternative even with the milk and extra things added to them. These would be great for getting kids to eat a healthier breakfast. With the amount of things that you can add to keep them interesting (zero calorie chocolate syrup and fruit for example), they should keep the kiddies interested for ages.

Will I be getting them again?

Well, no. 

The simple reason being that I can make a better pancake myself with just a tiny bit more effort. All you will need is,
  • 3 Eggs
  • 2 tablespoons of almond butter
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (more or less to taste).
  • 1 banana
Mix all of the ingredients together in a blended then simply took in a frying pan with a little grass fed butter. Personally I like to add a little sugar free diabetic jam on top as well and stack them American style!

The macros of this works out to be roughly,

Calories - 469
Protein - 24g
Carbs - 30g
Fat - 30g

Slightly more than the Myprotein version but tastes a lot better :) 

At Unorthodox Nutrition I pride myself on recommending the very best products to clients and everyone else! With so many bad and irresponsible products on the market, we are going to help you sift through them and pick the very best ones!

All of the reviews are;
  • Impartial. We are not affiliated with any of the companies we review. If we have worked for the company on a consult bases, it will be high lighted in the review.
  • We are not paid for any reviews. Each product has been either bought by ourselves or has been sent for test by the manufacturer.
If you would like to have a product reviewed please drop us a line via the contact form on this site or E Mail 

Thanks for reading!

Stay healthy,


Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment